Sunday, March 3, 2013

Organics and Candida

I am up tonight long after the rest of my family is asleep, long after I am normally asleep, pondering over candida issues.  So I thought I would share a bit more personal side to eating organics.  A few years ago in an earnest search to help relieve my husband's dry skin we embarked on a few different allergy diets.  One contained an inclusion for candida overgrowth.  One that has changed much in our lives and, I believe, is one of the reasons we are organic farmers today.

After years of searching for answers about strange symptoms I had been experiencing, I found them all summed up in candida overgrowth.  If you have ever been on a strict candida diet you know how hard it can be.  I felt like we were only allowed to eat meat (but not all!) and veggies (but not all!).  Oh, and they should be organic.  It was both a shock to our bodies and our wallet.  But one we will never regret.

Why is organic food important to the candida diet, to our diet?  One reason, in meats, is the use of antibiotics that is common in crowded growing conditions. One contributing factor in the overgrowth of candida in the gut is the effect of antibiotics that have weakened the beneficial bacteria that normally keep candida in check.  Hence, to the candida sufferer, the additional antibiotics in meat weaken our fight.  Secondly, is the matter of genetically modified organisms, or GMO's, which can cause further problems in the fight against candida overgrowth.  If you are unfamiliar with the GMO issues, this interview with Jeffrey Smith may be a helpful introduction: Jeffrey Smith & GMO's  And finally, the issue of pesticide and  herbicide residues on the foods.

All these added up to very good reasons to change our diet.  The best reason, though, was the fact that on a conservative diet, heavily limiting sugars and eating organic meat and veggies, my symptoms were gone.  Praise the Lord for simple healing.  Is it easy?  No.  Is it worth the time, effort, cost and change.  Every bit.  I'm so glad that when we sit down to a meal or share a snack with the kiddos, we know where our food comes from and what is, and isn't, in it.

peppers, okra, tomatoes, beans, potatoes, garlic, eggplant, squash
Photo by galant


No comments:

Post a Comment